Monday, June 30, 2008

Ouch!


Yesterday morning Christian woke up and showed me that he had gotten bit by some random bug. Of course, I get neurotic about stuff like that being in the bedding so I tore the sheets apart, threw out (in the trash) all the pillows in the bed and sanitized everything. I didn't see any bug. I applied Benadryl cream and gave him Zyrtec. I was serving in the nursery so I felt we had to attend and I checked on him before going to church. After church he was quite itchy and applied more cream. We went to lunch and after heading home I took another look at it. It considerable more swollen and red. I called the nurse through Blue Cross and she told me to go to the ER. I took him to Memorial Herman and two doctors examined him concluding it was an allergic reaction to a bug bite. The bites were on his penis which had urological implications so they advised me if any changes to the area occurred to head straight to TX Children's to see a pediatric urologist. Albert came home from work and began checking him every two hours. At 9pm the area was blue. Immediately we knew something was wrong with the blood flow to the area. We called Grandma and she came to stay with the little ones and Al called his friend Brian and sent an email asking others for prayer. I called Cindy and Carrie even though it was late so that they would pray for the situation. I was quite fearful at the time. Cindy prayed specifically for the Lord to reverse what had been done. When the doctor examined him the blue color was completely gone. The swelling and itchiness remained but they treated him with a steroid shot and tons of Benadryl and Zyrtec. We brought him home at 5am and he finally got to sleep. This morning in my reflection on all that the Lord had done in the last 24 hours, He gave me a vision of Him being the Great Physician or the Great Surgeon. He heard our prayers , stepped in like a surgeon to do the part He was an expert in (sudden healing) and left the rest to the medical personnel. And that's just what He did! He chose to heal the part that was damaged by lack of blood flow and left the itchiness and swelling to be treated with medication. Christian gave us some memorable moments yesterday. When one doctor sympathetically said 'I bet everyone has looked at it today' (referring to his penis), he replied no not everyone in the logical Christian manner like that is impossible why would you say that. When he got the steroid shot he didn't cry. The drama that pursued was quite entertaining though. He held up the leg with the shot in it and said oohhhh, aaawwww (like he was in labor) at least 20 times with eyes bulging and loudly. The doctor came back in and was witness to it. He got a kick out of the theatrics. Albert and I just tried to keep from laughing. He was too cute! He talked us into to taking him to IHOP at 3am stating that if he stayed a wake we had to take him. While waiting for our food, he asked if the day was over and wished it had not been. Albert and I have been reading Job together this past week. It was on schedule from our Bible calendar. The verses that I chose to mediate on were Job 13:15 "though He slay me, I will hope in Him," and Job 2: 10 "shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" I am thankful that the Lord showed us what He is doing in Christian's heart and mind at such a young age. Praise Him! Please continue to pray for him to be free of infection while the area continues to heal. Thanks for praying!!

No comments: