Tuesday, July 13, 2010

In the midst of a storm

I found myself in a storm this morning. No, not the kind that brings thunder and lightning which for us in south Tx is a common event. This storm had fear and pain that flooded my heart. Just as Jesus calmed the waves and the winds, so He calmed me His child. He spoke softly with patience His Word to me as I fought back the tears. He reminded me that I learn as He did obedience from that which I suffer (Heb. 5:8). I learned to trust Him because His Word holds promises that He reminded me of when my emotions were trying to rule me. His Spirit provided self control. In His power I was able to depend on Him to speak life and not death. To give the Gospel instead of repaying evil with evil. All the while being reminded of the right path I was to take moment by moment. The more I surrendered pride and fear and listened, I heard truth in love coming out of my mouth. God's Word is living and active (Heb.4:12). He reminded me of that this morning. He can do exceeding abundantly more than I can ask or think (Eph 3:20-22). He reminded me in worship the night before I had prayed for the Spirit to empty me of me and fill me with Christ. He answered that prayer. In the condition I was in, I asked "Lord how will I be prepared for all that I have before me today?" He answered by saying "worship Me". I was blubbering with red swollen eyes, in need of a Kleenex, and I said "Lord, you want me to sing? " "Yes, glorify me." My heart wanted to. Why wouldn't I? However, my flesh was not cooperating. It wanted to work towards self pity. I began to sing, The Joy of the Lord is My Strength. It barely came out. My voice was fading in and out between wimpering. I knew the praise He deserved and what lined up with the words to the song was to be joyful. I didn't feel joyful. Actually flesh said go back to bed and stay there. Wollering in self pity does suit me more than being off key. But as I fixed my red flaming face (make up can only do so much) I sang stronger. I listened to the words I was singing. He gives me living water and I thirst no more. No more thirst. No more pain. No more tears as Rev. 7:17 says" for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their Shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." Oh, the glory of eternity in Him! Even come so Lord Jesus.

No comments: