Saturday, August 16, 2008

Home school Convention 2008, my turn

Well, Saturday was my day to go check it out. We joined the state association which included entrance to the convention. What a blessing to have it 15 minutes from my house at the Marriott Woodlands! I went to two seminars over language arts. The first was by former home school mom, Rosie Watson, a very intelligent woman who has the gift of writing. She developed a creative writing program which uses award winning books to develop a child's love and gift of writing. She also speaks for Total Language Plus curricula which is for 4th-high school. Although a little advanced for our ages, we did purchase her creative writing kit.
The second seminar was by Janet Hulcy, the co-author of KONOS curricula. She has four grown sons she taught. She is a brash, entertaining woman. She believes in visuals and hands on experiences. I could see using KONOS for Ethan in the future. I then toured the exhibit hall looking for the different booths for the materials we had determined to purchase. I saw my friend, Corinne and her daughter Katherine there as well. She is a distributor for Usbourne books and had a booth at the convention. She said sales were good. With science, history, and math picked out and purchased, I left with a feeling of accomplishment but overwhelmed with the task before me. I am so thankful Albert has agreed to partner with me on this. I would have surely thrown in the towel by now. I returned home and he reassured me we were going to be blessed by this experience. I know that but my fears forget easily. Keep me in your prayers this week as I prepare the lesson plans.

No comments: