Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Turtle soup




Mr. Huffman spotted a turtle crossing the road as he came to visit. He called Albert and the boys and they headed down to pick it up. After taking a look at his shell, they were certain he as one that we had previously caught and who had escaped in the night. Kara and I were gone shopping that day and so upon our arrival, the boys couldn't wait to show us. The truck was loaded down with groceries so I began putting items away. I had walked out of the garage back door and saw Ethan in terror saying "Kara, Kara,Kara" My first thought, biggest fear, was she was run over, but the truck was off. So I made it to the front of the truck and found her circling with the large reptile clamped onto her index finger. She was screaming hysterically. I grabbed the turtle by the jaws squeezing them open to retrieve her finger. She was not consolable. Albert ran and picked her up and I ran for peroxide, alcohol and iodine. Poor baby was so upset. She had been watching the movie Babe so I think her feelings were hurt most by the turtle. I explained to her that the turtle thought her finger was a wormy. Ethan was ready to pulverize the turtle. After resting and calming down, she was spotted taking Ethan's Nerf machine gun and pointing it at the turtle. A true Texas girl! Don't get mad, shoot something. The serpent from the Garden's relative received mercy and was transported via wagon to the pond nearby. Turtle soup was considered but we had chicken enchiladas instead. Update: her finger looks good and she is still on antibiotics from her ear infection.

No comments: